Feb. 3, 2020 at 10:07 p.m. GMT+5
Coronavirus instances proceed to surge in China whereas new infections are being reported around the globe. Inventory markets in China, reopening after the Lunar New 12 months vacation, recorded their sharpest falls in additional than 4 years Monday, reflecting growing concern in regards to the injury the outbreak is inflicting on the native financial system. Right here’s what we all know:
● China’s Nationwide Well being Fee reported Monday that there are 17,228 confirmed instances in China, together with 15 in Hong Kong and eight in Macao. The self-governing island of Taiwan reported 10 instances. The World Well being Group reported 146 confirmed instances in 23 nations outdoors China.
● China’s major share indexes plunged greater than eight %, reopening after a 10-day break, as economists proceed to revise progress forecasts downward.
● Hong Kong has closed almost all its border crossings with mainland China. Considerations are additionally rising about doable outbreaks in Japan and South Korea after indications of tertiary transmissions of the virus there.
● China’s new “super-fast” hospital, inbuilt simply eight days, has opened in Wuhan. With 1,000 beds, it can relieve stress on Wuhan’s overwhelmed medical amenities.
● The US recorded its 11th case of the coronavirus, with a pair from central California falling sick after the husband’s journey to China’s Hubei province on the epicenter of the outbreak.